US Steel Stock Drops 15% In A Week – What Are The Chances Of Recovery?
US Steel Corp stock (NYSE: X) dropped 15% over the last 5 trading days (1 week). This has mainly been due to the volatility just before the company is due to report its Q4 and full year 2020 results on 28th January 2021. With iron ore prices falling after China announced its plan to cut crude steel production, the steel market also bore the brunt with stock of major steel companies such as US Steel, Nucor, and Steel Dynamics dropping sharply over the last one week. In comparison, the broader S&P 500 increased 1.5% over the last 5 trading days. Now, is US Steel stock set to decline further or could we expect some recovery? We believe that there is a 55% chance of a rise in US Steel stock over the next month (21 trading days) based on our machine learning analysis of trends in the stock price over the last 5 years. See our analysis on US Steel Stock Chances of Rise for more details.
5D: X -15%, vs. S&P500 1.5%; Underperformed market
(4% likelihood event)
- United States Steel stock declined 15% over a 5-day trading period ending 1/26/2021, compared to broader market (S&P500) rise of 1.5%
- A change of -15% or more over 5 trading days is a 4% likelihood event, which has occurred 52 times out of 1256 in the last 5 years
10D: X -20%, vs. S&P500 1.5%; Underperformed market
(36% likelihood event)
MORE FOR YOU
- United States Steel stock declined 20% over the last 10 trading days (2 weeks), compared to broader market (S&P500) rise of 1.5%
- A change of -20% or more over 10 trading days is a 36% likelihood event, which has occurred 452 times out of 1240 in the last 5 years
21D: X 7.5%, vs. S&P500 4.5%; Outperformed market
(7% likelihood event)
- United States Steel stock rose 7.5% the last 21 trading days (1 month), compared to broader market (S&P500) rise of 4.5%
- A change of 7.5% or more over 21 trading days is a 7% likelihood event, which has occurred 88 times out of 1198 in the last 5 years.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio to beat the market, with over 100% return since 2016, versus 55% for the S&P 500. Comprised of companies with strong revenue growth, healthy profits, lots of cash, and low risk, it has outperformed the broader market year after year, consistently.
See all Trefis Price Estimates and Download Trefis Data here
What’s behind Trefis? See How It’s Powering New Collaboration and What-Ifs For CFOs and Finance Teams | Product, R&D, and Marketing Teams